THE BAREFOOT SPEAKER

Monday 14 May 2012

Critical reflection on Professional Practitioner Enquiry


Critical reflection on Professional Practitioner Enquiry.

Part 1
It became clear whilst carrying out the research for the first task that my initial ideas still required much refinement. I began to doubt my initial resolve as I encountered a number of stumbling blocks (Appendices A).
Although the number of SIG’s I joined (Appendices B) did not result in much of a dialogue, it was suggested (Appendices B) that I may find people with similar interests on LinkedIn. Disappointingly I also found a lack of conversations through these groups. Consequentially I began actively engaging more with my network outside of the course, discussing my thoughts and honing my ideas.

Despite much of my research and progress resulting from relationships outside of BAPP I have had a number of informative discussions via fellow students blogs (Appendices M, Appendices N, Appendices D), as well as various insightful conversations with my course tutor, which have informed my enquiry.

It was one of these conversations with my tutor that helped decide that Interviews, rather than a desk based approach to gathering data, would be my chosen method to inspire excitement into the research process (Appendices D).


Part 2
When I recorded my own thoughts on the codes of practice in my chosen profession Appendices E at the beginning of this section, I had not been aware of their complexity and importance. It was only after seeing them compared with two actual codes of conduct that I began taking seriously this previously overlooked topic Appendices C. This assisted in my new found appreciate of the relevance, and key part, ethics must play in a professional context and how these lessons extend to the practices of conducting my own enquiry.


Part 3
The final tasks of this module were to pilot and review the merits and limits of four different tools for data gathering Appendices I, Appendices F, Appendices K, Appendices L, and review three pieces of literature that are related to my topic Appendices H, helped develop not only better skills to carry out my specific enquiry but was when I became aware of a possible winning combination.
Guided by further discussions with my tutor and network, it was at this point, that my enquiry took its current shape. After experiencing each of the pilot investigatory tools, I was confident that interviewing was the best medium for me to gather the information I desired whilst simultaneously having the potential to increase my professional network and when I had completed the three literary reviews I was convinced of the value a wide variety of literature Appendices G, would bring to this subject.
Storing the many sources that have informed this enquiry thus far Appendices J will allow me to more easily share my findings with, and help others in the future.


Through the completion of its various tasks designed to, challenge and broaden my thinking, this module, whilst being underpinned by the networking and critical reflection skills developed during the first module, has built on, and augmented them, and thereby enlightened every other aspect, from the ethical considerations to the tools and skills essential in creating and refining a comprehensive professional practitioner enquiry.






APPENDICES


Appendices A             Phil’s Blog – Current Lines of Enquiry
Appendices B             Phil’s Blog - WANTED!! Help and SIG
Appendices C             Phil’s Blog – Task 5B
Appendices D            Phil’s Blog – Break throughs!!
Appendices E             Phil’s Blog – Task 5A
Appendices F             Phil’s Blog – Pilot Survey
Appendices G             Google Docs - Phil Carroll - SIG Resources List
Appendices H            Phil’s Blog - Literature Reviews
Appendices I              Phil’s Blog - Results of Piloted Investigatory Tools
Appendices J              Google Docs – Screen shot of BAPP websites
Appendices K                        Google Docs – Interview with Susan Alexander
Appendices L             Google Docs – Interview with Paul Preston
Appendices M            Lisa Whyte’s Blog – P & P - comments
Appendices N                        Phil’s Blog – Break throughs!! - comments

No comments:

Post a Comment